Saturday, May 16, 2009

Broiled at the Steak

Tonight was steak night! Steak is a rare treat in our house. The bonus is that when I do make red meat, I buy the best cuts and really enjoy them. Why would I waste time with ground beef? Get ground turkey and cut your calories and fat substantially. Save up and eat a good steak. Buy local, organic, GRASS fed beef. The flavor is better and it is better for you.

This is a quick, easy and healthy meal. Also great for guests. Cook the potatoes first, then the steak, then the bok choy just before serving. You could even cook the potatoes ahead of time and just heat them in the oven before serving. 
It was too rainy to grill out, so I broiled the steaks and they were awesome, so there. Also I heard that the burnt stuff from grilling causes cancer, and since I believe everything I read on the internet, I broil. Also, it could be I am just to lazy to go out back and down the stairs to grill. Whatever. 

Steak and Taters with Baby Bok Choy
Serves 2.
WW pts 14 (5oz filet, 1 med potato and bok choy)


Steak (2 filets)
  A good steak only need some coarse salt and pepper. But I still believe in the power of soaking in a little Worcestershire before cooking. Just a preference.

Turn the oven to broil. When it has reached temp, slide the steaks in. I use a cookie sheet. Cook 3-6 minutes, flip with tongs. Cook till done. This varies with the cut and size. I often us my convection setting to cook them evenly, especially if the potatoes on in the oven also. When they look good on the outside, check the temp with your instant read thermometer. When done, let the meat rest 10 minutes. Enjoy.

Sweet Potatoes (2 medium)
Wash 'em. Dice 'em. Toss 'em with olive oil, salt, rosemary and thyme or whatever you have lying around. Cook 'em on a sheet till tender. (approx 30-40 minutes) Done. 

Baby Bok Choy (7 heads)
Love this. Baby bok choy in super cheap. I paid $1.29 for a bag and had enough for 3+ meals. It also stores well. Slice each head in half. Steam them till tender (3-5 minutes). I spray a little asian vinaigrette salad spritz. You could use soy sauce or just salt. 

Way better than some chain restaurant and far cheaper.  Suck on that, Outback.

No comments:

Post a Comment