Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuna Patty (Croquette Is Soooo Pretentious)

My mom made a variation of these when I was a kid. I made them for my husband just once. He called them "fleshy". I finally tried again and came up with this. Not "fleshy". 

2 small cans solid white albacore, in water, drained
1 small can chunk light tuna, in water, drained
1-2 tblsp spicy brown mustard
bread crumbs (plain or get all fancy and get garlic and herb)
2 eggs
vegetable oil (I like Smart Balance)

Mix tuna, mustard, 1 egg,  and 1 & 1/2 c. bread crumbs. Salt and pepper. Mix with fork adding crumbs till it easily forms balls. Chill 30 minutes. On med-high, heat just enough oil to cover bottom of pan. Make flat round palm sized patties. dip in egg and then bread crumbs. Cook in oil about 2 minutes each size. 

This is about the only meal I will serve with ketchup. But it really works here. 

I grew up with mashed potatoes and green mushy peas served as sides. In keeping with the Pantry Challenge, we had garlic couscous and sauteed sugar snaps peas with yellow bell pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment