Friday, June 19, 2009

Beet and Three

Farmers Market heaven. I bought a CSA with my local farmer. I buy 'stock' in them, I get a bag of food every week. Great deal. I also end up getting veggies that I might not have picked myself. Like chard and beets. I thought I hated beets. I was wrong. I hate gross canned pickled beets. I love these beets. I am disappointed you can't tell how gorgeous the beets are. 

I am posting the recipe for Greek Beet salad and a gorgeous Swiss Chard and Chickpea main dish recipe. I also served roasted carrots and homemade bread.

Roasted Greek Beet Salad

4-5 fresh 
beets, I mixed golden and purple.,
Wrap in foil and roast at 400 fro 45 minutes until
 you can pierce with a fork. Let cool. Slice.

Combine: 
1 tbl red wine vinegar
1 tbl cup
 balsamic vinegar
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbl olive oil
2 tbl parsley
1 tbl rosemary

Toss with cooled, sliced beets. Top with feta. Eat all of it greedily.

Chard and Peas

olive oil
2 tbl minced garlic
2 sweet onions, diced
1 can Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
2 ears corn, sliced off the cob
1 bunch Swiss Chard, trimmed
4-5 cherry tomatoes, cut in 4
white wine vinegar

Heat olive oil over med-high. Cook onion till soft. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add beans and corn. Cook till warm. Add chard and cook till soft. Toss in tomatoes, and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

Even my husband was happy with the meal without meat. The entire meal is from the Farmers Market and my pantry. I am super proud of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment